Relax and Learn a New Hobby: Strum the guitar



Strumming the guitar might seem an old-fashioned hobby to some and can be boring to others.  I even know someone who thinks that strumming the guitar is a hobby of lonely people because that's how lonely people amuse themselves.  But I disagree, passionately.  Actually, I think strumming the guitar is neither old-fashioned or boring.  For me, it is a cool hobby as is playing other musical instruments.  I have always admired powerful people who play musical instruments like the former US President, Bill Clinton, who plays the sax.  It brings the more human, one-of-us side of him.  And when he jams with a band, he would look so cool, gray hair and all.

I have just recently learned to strum the guitar.  I started to practice one chord a day and I assure you, it's not easy.  The skin under my fingers were screaming after three days.  So I had to take a break for a day.    One thing about this hobby is it is low maintenance.  The basic requirement is an ordinary guitar, but before you buy the guitar, choose one that produces a good and clear sound, not the dull sound.  Then buy a book that is very systematic in the way the lessons are presented.  The book that I'm using started with the simplest topic.  It is a book that's hard to put down.  I even read it even inside the  bathroom.  That way, I can maximize the use of my time (lol).  


I started with learning the C and G chord.  Together with learning both chords, I also learned some techniques in easier movement of fingers when the chords change so that there is a smooth transition.  I did not realize there's a lot physiological principle that go with playing this instrument.  I managed to finish some basic three-chord songs like the classic "happy birthday" song.  Well, at least there is something that I can expertly play and a very useful song at that.  I can contribute to the activities when there are gatherings or parties.  

The trick though is not to wane in your interest and always devote a few minutes every day.  What I do is I try to play the songs that I have begun learning daily, that way, I gain mastery of the songs and I always get to  unwind before the day ends.   It is a good way to cap the day.  I might continue doing this until I get older and grayer.  I believe no one is too old to learn something new.  Old dogs can still learn to bite bones.  So, I encourage you guys to relax and learn a hobby.  Play the guitar.  

Comments

Don't Miss These Items

Jeane Napoles and Her Collapsing "PDAF" Tower

Will MJ Lastimosa Finally Get That Elusive Ms. Universe Crown?

How Do You Keep Your Brain Active?